![]() |
Mid-Winter Convention:
Yesterday I had the opportunity to travel with West Perry High School to the Pennsylvania Mid-Winter convention at the Farm show complex. We brought 51 students along with us on the day trip. Several students were competing in the Ag Issues Career Development Event where they placed second out of 6 teams.
As this was only my third time at the farm show in my life, naturally I was still in awe of all the vendors in the complex. Let alone I was also trying to fill the role of a teacher for the first time.
This trip was my second real experience as a teacher at West Perry. The first being National Convention in Louisville. This was my first experience working to manage a large group of 50 students all at one time.
What did I take from this trip? Sometimes organized chaos is the best option. Once we got to the complex, the students had to be in groups of at least 3, but other than that they were free to roam the complex as they wanted. The only exception was that we all had to meet at the large arena to group back up and watch the convention.
Overall this was a great trip and a great way to get me used to have the responsibilities and disposition of an Ag teacher. The biggest challenge was getting the students back on the bus after the convention was over.

It sounds like the students had a great day! Hopefully you will get to do some reflecting with the students now that you are back at school. I am sure they had a wide breadth of interactions at the Farm Show that will help them in their current coursework, and future careers. It is always good to make those connections after an experience such as this.
ReplyDeleteWell done!
ReplyDelete