"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Small Gas Engines

This week I there has so much going on and I have been learning all week. But one specific class I feel has progressed me the most. My small gasoline engines class.

To give a little bit of background, this class is a class of sophomore-senior boys and it takes place during the last period of the day. This class is focused primarily on teaching (you guessed it) small gas engine maintenance and repair. The first few weeks of this class have been focused on preparing the students to tear down their engines and rebuild them all while diagnosing and repairing anything that might be wrong with the engine.

This particular group of students is very talkative.  During my time I have been trying to come up with ways to reduce how much they talk in the class so that I can be sure they are grasping the material.

Then I started listening to what they are talking about.

During every class, regardless of what we are discussing, I started to really listen to what they are talking about. After doing this, I began to realize that they aren't talking about anything they feel like. They are specifically talking about engines and what I am trying to teach in class.

After I began to realize this, I would listen much more closely to what they are saying and occasionally I will bring it up to the class and have them explain it to the class.

My major take away from this week: Not all talking is a bad thing, a perfectly silent class could very well be a sign that the students don't understand what we are trying to teach them. When the students are talking about the subject, it is easier to find out what they understand and what might need to be revisited.

I am looking forward to listening more closely to some of my other classes and using this to decide what and how I teach.

2 comments:

  1. Matt,

    Good insights on knowing what your students are talking about and realizing that a "silent" classroom is not always the best. Just be sure to see that the discussions are on topic and not pulling away from the focus of the class. Even good, on topic, discussion can be distracting so just make sure that the "side conversations" are not pulling away from other instruction.

    Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete