For this Weekly writing, I read the article Using Cooperative Learning in Formal and Non-Formal Education by Katy Groseta and Brian Meyers. In the article, several different strategies to improve and manage cooperative learning were discussed. Some of these strategies include: limiting groups to a maximum of four students, only intervening when the groups absolutely need it, and making sure the groups have students of all skill and knowledge levels. When students get the chance to work without a teacher telling them what to do and in groups of other students with different levels of knowledge experience, students will flourish.After reading this article, I decided to do a little bit more digging. I found this website which gives several different examples of Cooperative learning activities for teachers to use.
How will I use this?While I am student teaching, I plan to use several different cooperative learning activities. One example of this is in my Small Gas Engines class, the students will have the opportunity to work together to prepare and present a skit or demonstration of the proper personal protective equipment (PPE) while working on an engine. I believe this will give the students the opportunity to really understand why we require the PPE that we do in a shop setting.
In Conclusion
Cooperative learning can be a powerful tool when it is used properly. We as educators need to be sure we are always giving the students the experience they need to improve upon themselves. Once the students graduate and leave the schools, They will need to be able to efficiently work with other people in all types of settings; cooperative learning activities give the students the chance to build the skills required to do these tasks.
Matt,
ReplyDeleteI want you to go find the FIVE pillars of Cooperative Learning and bring them to AEE 412 for us to discuss on how we can make them work for us!
Df