Today we did a mock first day of school in 412 lab. I had a lesson prepared to help the students learn each others names and for me to learn theirs, and also we went over the expectations, procedures, and consequences for the classroom.
After reviewing the video of my lesson I have identified two major areas I need to improve in. The first area is my enthusiasm. The second area is my preparation for class overall.
First I need to improve on my enthusiasm in the classroom. Whenever I taught this lesson, I had a tendency to be very quiet and at some points monotone, This is something that I really need to improve looking into the future. I believe I can improve this by finding better ways to engage the students, and also including music something else that is fun into the class.
The second area I believe I need to improve on is my preparation overall. I knew what I wanted to teach and exactly how I wanted to do it, but when the lesson came, it didn't go quite like I expected it to. I know I can improve this by planning out what I want to do and what to say so that I don't forget at the last minute.
Overall I thought that the class went well, I definitely need to improve my enthusiasm and my planning, but I believe that this is something that I should be able to work on over my next few lessons.
I also struggle with enthusiasm! I've had a hard time thinking about how to improve upon it as well.. I keep thinking it's a personality trait, but it could be better with confidence! I had an idea - perform the hole-in-one e-moment with yourself. I'm going to try it before my next lesson - I'm going to imagine myself being a ball of energy going through my lesson before hand to gain confidence.
ReplyDeleteMatt, I thought that your lesson went pretty well overall! I admit that you were a little bit monotone throughout the lesson, i think that this will only get better as we become more confident in our teaching! I also agree that the tempo of the lesson may be a little better if there was music playing whenever students entered the room...who doesnt like music?
ReplyDeleteMike
Mike, from reading your reflection I believe the more you become comfortable in the classroom the more you will let your personality shine. Preparing for your lesson in advance may help you be more enthusiastic as well as better your transitions. If you need help with enthusiasm, we can talk. Great job!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteWrong person Katie, this is my blog
DeleteMatt, great reflection! Just remember that enthusiasm and energy shines through in different ways for different people. So don't think that you have to say a certain thing or act a certain way to be enthusiastic. When you are confident in yourself and your lesson, and you are passionate about student success, the energy will naturally shine through :) Don't beat yourself up, it's not easy, but we all believe in you!
ReplyDeleteI would say you were accurate in your reflection from being one of your students, but we all have areas we need to improve upon. I especially liked your introduction activity. My tip would be to smile more, and that will make you look like your enjoying it more and feel more confident... however, I do know that sometimes all you see is blank or expressionless stares from your students! :)
ReplyDelete