"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke

Sunday, August 9, 2015

My First SAE Visit

It has been awhile since I've posted on here so I am going to try something a little bit different. I am going to talk about my First SAE visit with Mrs. Miller at West Perry. 

What I saw:

I was at several different SAE's working with students of different levels. Some had done very little and some we were just checking up on. But most of them involved rabbits or growing plants. Both areas that I have very little experience in.

What I learned:

While we were out. I saw and learned so much. First I was helping to tattoo a rabbits ear  and sex the rabbit to prepare for the Perry County Fair. This girl had done very little with The AET so we spent the majority of our time teaching her how to use it and how to update it. 

The other SAE visit that I really learned from was a girl who had planted an acre of soybeans. She knew a lot more about The AET so we didn't spend much time on that. Instead we spent time teaching her how to calculate the density of her soybeans. This was something totally new to me and I feel like I will really be able to use this experience.

How will I use this?

While I am at West Perry, I will be teaching a small animal science class, The rabbit knowledge I have been gaining will be information that I bring into the classroom. I may even be able to teach the students how to tattoo a rabbit during the class.

Overall this was an extremely rewarding and informative experience for me. I am looking forward to me next visit at the Perry County Fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment