To start, I had the system spread out on the table to kept it covered so the students had no idea what we were doing for class. The bellwork of the day was: What are "Rocky Mountain Oysters"? The majority of the class had no idea, but to try and get the students thinking a little bit, I asked who knew and said not to shout out the answer. Once I found out who knew, I had the students who didn't know take a few guesses. I got answers like "Oysters that live in the mountains" and others that were similar. Finally, after several students couldn't stop themselves from laughing, I let them answer the question: Friend bull testicles".
The class went over extremely well, with the dissection (after some serious confusion) we finally identified all of the parts we could find, and began to dissect the testicle.
The students really enjoyed this demonstration overall. I ended the class by having the students trace the path of the sperm cells starting from where they are produced in the testicles to the complete end of the system.
This demonstration showed me a few things, first no matter what happens, if there is something I feel is important for the students to know and get experience with, I need to keep trying. In this case it was getting my hands on a bull reproductive system. the second thing it has taught me is just because I taught my students the theory behind bull reproduction, does NOT mean that they will be able to identify the real thing when the time comes. It took a lot of prodding and guiding to help the students understand what exactly they were looking at.
Matt,
ReplyDeleteI am at a training session right now for 4-H and most of the participants have never had teaching experience, but everyone of them understand from a learner's perspective how important it is to provide hands on experiences. It sounds like you provided a great connection to the theory through this activity.
Dr. Ewing